Unfortunately, the next month was a tough one for Vinera and her family. Henry lived nine short days, dying 24 January 1847. Polly lived for 16 days, dying 31 January 1847. I imagine the grief that Vinera and her husband, Samuel Stillman Glover must have felt. It wasn't the only grief that Samuel would be feeling. Vinera died shortly after this on 14 February 1847, just short of a month after giving birth to her twins. Samuel would lose another child, Sarah Eglantine Glover, in two years on 23 January 1849.
Vinera left Samuel and her ten children in the care of Samuel, which must have been a shock to him. I hope it was shock which led to the next few years in Samuel's life, as I don't know if I can understand the choices that Samuel made during this time.
Within three years Samuel is remarried and living in Webster, Monroe, New York. He is living with his new wife, Maria, and her five children. Only two of Samuel's ten children, Alanson and Daniel, are with Samuel in New York. This made me wonder what happened to his eight other children. I needed to know and set about searching the 1850 Census for them.
Five of the ten children were adults at this time:
- William Powers Glover, age 32, is living with his wife, Almira and son, George in Adrian, Lenawee, Michigan.
- Samuel Worcester Glover, age 29, is living in Springfield, Massachusetts.
- Sarah Eglantine Glover, died on 23 January 1849, at the age of 22.
- Alanson D. Glover, age 20, moved with his father to Webster, Monroe, New York.
- Dennis H. Glover, age 19, is living with his wife, Caroline, and son, Frank, age three months, in Oceola, Livingston, Michigan.
- Samuel Stillman Glover, Jr., age 15, is living at the residence of John Cody, merchant, in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw, Michigan. Samuel Jr. is enumerated on his own line in the 1850 Census. The Cody family is beneath him but their dwelling and family numbers are the same. Who is John Cody?
- Daniel W. Glover, age 13, is living with his father, Samuel, in Webster, Monroe, New York.
- Vinera Josephine Glover, age 10, is unaccounted for. She is not with her father or any of her adult brothers or sisters. She isn't with Samuel Jr. either. Where did she go? I have tried in vain to find her in the 1850 Census. She marries Wm. P. Paine in 1857 in Ionia County, Michigan. How did she get to Ionia and meet Wm. P. Paine?
- George W. Glover, age 8, is unaccounted for. I have no further information on George W. Where did he go, he was only 8? Why would a father leave his young son behind? Did George die before his father left for New York?
- Annette Glover, age 6, is living with the Hiram Day family in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw, Michigan. Who is Hiram Day? Annette wasn't even three years old when her mother died. Annette Glover married Jesse Youngs, at the age of 16, in Wayne, Wayne, Michigan.