Summer in Michigan is a nice time of the year. There are lots of lakes and rivers to explore and sandy beaches to lay on. Summer is usually a down time for me genealogically speaking. I like to read, garden or go to the beach during the summer. This year, I have decided to try and plan a few genealogically related activities and see if I can accomplish a little in my genealogical world.
I would like to take a couple of day trips. I would like to visit the following:
- Miami and Howard County Indiana-The Graf and Fredricks side of my mom's family settled here before migrating to Michigan. I would like to visit the Miami County Courthouse and get Casper Graf's will and visit a few cemeteries and take pictures. I would like to explore the area. I may need to plan this as an overnight trip from the looks of what I want to accomplish.
- Adrian, Michigan- The Dyer side of my dad's family settled here when they came from New York. I want to check out the library and a couple of cemeteries.
- Bentley Historical Library, Ann Arbor-There are two civil war era diaries, that mentions my 2nd great grandfather's gunshot wound that he received during the Civil War, that I would like to read. Plus, the library has Lima Township vital records and Baptist records that I am interested in exploring.
- Go to Fort Wayne, Indiana-I will be there for the FGS 2013 Conference in August, but I would like to go at least once and do a little research at the library.
- Last but not least, is to attend the Fredricks Family Reunion. I didn't go last year, but I am, definitely, going this year. Shhh! Don't tell anyone but I have a killer white elephant gift to take this year.
This is what I hope to accomplish this summer besides creating more family memories with my adult children. I don't know how much of this I will get done. I thought if I put it in print and posted it on my blog, I would be more successful at it. Do you have summer genealogy related plans? Please share them in the comments section. Enjoy your summer!