- Downtown Market, 435 Ionia Ave. SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. This is one of my favorite places to go when I am in Grand Rapids. The Marketplace is a great place to grab lunch, a snack, or a simple dinner. A variety of food options are available including sushi, thai, tacos, barbecue, ice cream, coffee and three bakeries! It is located about a mile from the DeVos Place. Hours are Sunday-Thursday 10-7; Friday 10-8; and Saturday 9-8.
- Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, 1000 East Beltline NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525. If you have a few hours to explore this beautiful area, I highly recommend it, but wear your walking shoes! It is early for flowers to be blooming in Michigan, but you may see tulips and daffodils in bloom. The sculpture garden is home to the famous 24 foot "American Horse" inspired by Leonardo da Vinci and many other sculptures. There is an indoor viewing area with a caterpillar room and tropical plants and more. Other things to see include a farmhouse, kids garden, plants, and much more. It is about 5 1/2 miles from the DeVos Place, but public transportation is available. Hours are Sunday 11-5; Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 9-5; Tuesday 9-9.
- Beer City USA. There are over 80 craft breweries in the area for you to explore, many of them with great food. I am not a beer drinker so I can't attest to the quality of the beer, but if this is of interest to you, you won't be disappointed.
- Grand Rapids Children's Museum, 11 Sheldon Ave. NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. This is a wonderful museum for children and adults. There are many hands on exhibit to explore including bubbles, music, farm and a fort. The museum is .8 mile from the DeVos Place. Hours are Sunday 12-5; Monday Closed; Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday 9:30-5 and Thursday 9:30-8.
- Grand Rapids Public Museum, 272 Pearl St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504. This museum is a wonderful place to visit. A carousel, wurlitzer organ, exhibits, habitats, and my favorite, The Streets of Old Grand Rapids are a few of the highlights of this museum. It is a quick walk, .3 mile, from DeVos Place. Hours are Monday-Friday 9-5; Saturday 10-5; and Sunday 10-5.
- Fish Ladder Although the salmon won't be running this time of year, this is a relaxing spot in the city.
- Heritage Hill Neighborhood One of the oldest neighborhoods in Grand Rapids, this well kept area is rich in beautiful homes with architectural features. There is a self guided walking tour available here.
- Gerald Ford Presidential Museum, 300 Pearl St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504. NGS will be having an event here Thursday night of the conference, but if you want to explore the museum on your own it is rich in history. It is within walking distance of the DeVos Place. Hours are Monday-Saturday 9-5 and Sunday 12-5.
These are just of a few of the attraction available for your visit to Grand Rapids. To see attractions near the DeVos Place check here. Experience Grand Rapids is the tourism website to check out.
Post a Comment