We met with a realtor and went to see a few homes. There wasn't much available to purchase in Deckerville. We expanded our search to the nearby town of Sandusky, about 12 miles away. We weren't finding what we were looking for until I saw an advertisement of a house for sale by owner.
2457 Maple Street, Deckerville, Michigan was a beautiful home on a corner lot, complete with a white picket fence. We made an appointment to view the home. It was a well maintained, two story, four bedroom, 1 1/2 baths house. It was just what we were looking for. We made an offer on the home, they countered, we countered again and it was ours!
It was a home that we could see out the living room window of the apartment we were living in. The move wouldn't be hard! Also, I knew one of the owners of the home. I had gone to high school with her. Everything was falling into place.
We moved into our home in April of 1984, Kirsten was four months old. We went from a cramped apartment to a home with lots of empty space. We would have fun filling it up.
The house had two big porches that went along the front and back of the house, the oval lead glass front door opened into a dining room, that we needed to furnish. The living room was to the left with a bedroom off of that. We used this room as a den and later, a playroom. The large kitchen was off the dining room. A half bath was off of the kitchen. The stairs led from the dining room up to three nice sized bedrooms. Another room that was too small to be a bedroom, became my sewing room, was at the end of the hall. A full bath completed the second floor. There were pull down stairs to an attic that ran the length of the house. I loved everything about the house but the basement. It was a Michigan basement, cold and damp. I had to do laundry down there, but that was about it.
- Kirsten celebrated her first birthday.
- Kirsten learned to walk on the wood parquet floors of the living and dining rooms.
- Kirk and I tested our skill at home improvements. We painted the exterior, painted the kitchen and learned that if we wallpapered together, it would lead to a fight.
- We entertained friends on snow days here.
- I found out I was pregnant with our second child here. I recovered from a miscarriage and grew more in love with Kirk for his support through this difficult time.
- I found out I was pregnant for Travis.
- I remember Kirsten would stand at the front window, waiting for Kirk to come home from school. He would pull in the driveway and she would get so excited. Kirk said all you could see was from her eyes up.
- Kirk's parent's, Jim and Betty, brought the rocking horse to Kirsten and her squeals of delight as they pulled it out of their truck.
- Kirsten crawled into a freshly painted pantry cupboard and ruined her brand new outfit. She was so cute, I couldn't get mad. She was 16 months old.
- Kirk would build a tower with wood blocks and every morning Kirsten would come downstairs and knock it over, before she did anything else.
- We grew in our early years of marriage, falling more in love with each other, having candlelight dinners, watching movies on DVD-a new invention, learning how to become parents, and being a family together.
- We decided to move so Kirk could become an elementary counselor.