My 2011 genealogy goals are:
- Scan pictures! This is going very well. There are always more pictures to scan.
- Work on my brickwall, Daniel Fenn. I worked on this for awhile, but put it aside as it frustrates me and I believe a visit to Vermont is needed.
- Make a concentrated effort to source every fact as I add it to my software program. This is one I am doing very well on; it doesn't go into my software without a source.
- Visit Miami County, Indiana to research Casper and Mary Graf further. I thought I would do this during the summer, but our summer seems to be filling up. I guess I will have to make this a priority in August.
- Obtain my grandfather's, Otto August Fredrick, obituary. Completed.
- Attend a genealogical conference. Almost completed, I am registered for FGS in September. Hope to see you there.
- Start researching my son-in-law's ancestry. Since I wrote 'start researching', this is completed. I have researched his father's side and am working on his mother's.
- Talk to my mother and find out about family heirlooms in her possession. Completed, now she brings me stuff she thinks I might like to have from my aunt and others.
- Carve out a regular research time. This is the one I still struggle with. I feel I could do better. I have been having some thyroid troubles which causes me to be unmotivated at times, so I will attribute it to that!
- Make contact with newly discovered cousins and share information. Continuing to do this, and hope to continue discovering more cousins.
- Research myself! Add my personal facts to my genealogical software. Completed
I feel very good about 8 of the 11 goals. Number 2, I know, will not be completed. Number 4 needs to be scheduled and then I will get it done. And, number 9 is one I think I will continue to struggle with, but as long as I keep researching I don't think it matters if I do it on a regular basis or not.
This was my first year of setting goals. I have learned a lot. I think some of my goals were too general. I will set yearly goals again, as it truly motivates me and gives me a focus in my research. This isn't the only research I have done. So far 2011 has been a good genealogy year.
Great job so far. I love that your mom is now giving you heirlooms you might enjoy. I really need to ask my grandma about any heirlooms that she has, just to get the stories down.ReplyDelete
Tina, It is a good idea to talk to your grandma now. I didn't think of this until my mom sent a box of stuff to donate to charity home with me. I asked about some of the items and said, "you can't get rid of this, it's special." So now I get it and she explains where it came from. I love it!ReplyDelete
Great goals, Brenda, but I have to say I am most impressed by #3. What a good habit to get into. I also like the fact that you mom gives you heirlooms along with the information about them. If only I'd started family history before my parents passed away! And #9--when you don't feel good it's hard to do more than the essentials sometimes. I hope you have more good days than bad. Take care.ReplyDelete
Thank you Nancy. I am feeling much better and looking forward to summer research.ReplyDelete
A very impressive list of goals and even more impressive is the progress! I like goal number 8 myself. You will be glad you know what the heirlooms are in your family and what their story is.ReplyDelete
Thanks, Michelle. I am thankful my mom is still here to share the stories of the heirlooms.ReplyDelete