The repositories I plan on visiting are:
The New England Historic Genealogical Society Library (NEHGS), Boston, Massachusetts. NEHGS has a wonderful introduction to their library online. I will be conducting advanced planning using the tips on their website, including:
- Reading about tips for preparing for a visit. The first item on the list is "make a list." I love making lists!
- Checking what resources are available.
- Checking what databases are available onsite.
- Scheduling a Consultation.
- Searching the card catalog and creating a list of resources.
- Collecting items on the what to bring list.
- Checking out the policies and procedures for visiting.
- Watching webinars 1) Getting the Most from NEHGS Online Library Catalog and 2)Preparing for Your Visit to NEHGS
- Finishing up my research plans and logs.
The Vermont Historical Society Leahy Library, Barre, Vermont has holdings of genealogical value. Already, I found out it is not open on Mondays, which was the day I thought we would go, and a change of plans was made. Whew! I would hate to go all that way and not have a library be open. Advanced planning is a must. My planning here includes:
- Reading the website section on the Leahy Library.
- Checking the location and hours.
- Searching the card catalog for resources.
- Searching the manuscript collection online.
- Requesting certain resource ahead of time, if warranted.
- Checking PERSI for any Vermont periodicals that are available at the library.
- Checking Genealogy Indexes and Lists section on the website.
The Shoreham Historical Society and the Pittsford Historical Society are two societies that I want to visit when I am in Vermont. I will be reading their websites further and contacting them regarding a visit.
Technically, cemeteries are not repositories but I will be making a list of the grave-sites and cemeteries I want to visit, including the Ben and Jerry's Flavor Graveyard and the Von Trapp Family Graveyard (no relation, just love the Sound of Music).
A few of the cemeteries that I plan to visit are:
- Phelps, New York-Joslyn Cemetery
- Hingham, Massachusetts-Hingham Cemetery Settlers Monument
- Plymouth, Massachusetts-Burial Hill
- Eastham, Massachusetts-Cove Burying Ground
- Sandwich, Massachusetts-Old Town Burial Ground
- Pittsford, Vermont-Old Baptist Burying Ground
- Shoreham, Vermont-Lakeview Cemetery
I know I won't get to all the cemeteries I would like but I will be prepared with location information before I go. I have my cemetery bag ready to go, I just need to make sure it gets in the car.
It looks like your ducks and plans are all lined up. I don't know which day you'll be at NEHGS, but Wednesday they close at 9, other days at 5, and are Closed on Mondays. I like knowing where you'll be in VT, I have a few people up there as well, but not those areas. Soon, you'll be on the road.ReplyDelete
Thanks, Barbara. Right now, I plan to be at NEHGS on a Wed, Thurs., and Friday, if needed. I am getting ready to schedule an at home consultation with NEHGS.ReplyDelete