Trying to nail down a birth year for Richard McGee has been a challenge. Just about every record I have found for him has a different year of birth. Since I have not found an exact birthplace I have been unable to find a birth record. For the time being, based on death records only, I am placing his birth year about 1835, in Ireland. The 1901 Census of Canada gives a date of birth as 24 May 1850, but since I am pretty sure he didn't father a child at age of 12, this is incorrect. Richard's daughter, Catherine McGee Watt, my paternal great grandmother, was born 2 September 1862. My thoughts on the changes of birth year have to do with marrying his second wife, Mary, who was 24 years his junior.
The first Canadian record I have found for Richard McGee is the 1871 Census of Canada, age 28 and birth year 1843. He is living in Collingwood, Grey North, Ontario, Canada with his wife, Sally J, age 26; Catherine, age 8; and Isabella, age 2.
Richard married Sarah Jackson about 1861-1862. I base this date on the fact that Sarah is found living with her parents in the 1861 Census of Canada and their first born child, Catherine, was born in 1862. A marriage record for Richard and Sarah has not been found and further research in Ontario, Canada will be needed to confirm their marriage.
Richard's information on successive census is uniform in the areas of Birthplace-Ireland and Occupation-Farmer. Otherwise, nothing is the same from census year to census year. Year of birth is recorded as 1824, 1841, 1843, and 1850. Religion is recorded as Church of England, Methodist, and English. Obviously, I have a lot of work to do with Richard McGee's research.
Richard and Sarah McGee were the parents of four children:
- Catherine McGee (2 September 1862-22 January 1932). Catherine was born in Collingwood, Grey, Ontario, Canada. She married David Watt on 16 May 1883 in St. Ignace, Mackinac, Michigan. She died in Marquette, Marquette, Michigan, United States.
- Isabella McGee (1 October 1868-14 September 1952). Isabella McGee married Richard Simmons on 8 November 1896. She died in St. Louis County, Minnesota, United States.
- William John McGee (10 July 1871-). William was born in Collingwood, Grey, Ontario, Canada. He married Laura Kirby on 30 January 1900 in Thornbury, Grey, Ontario, Canada. I haven't found a date or place of death, yet.
- James McGee (25 February 1877-) This is the only information that I have for James McGee.
- Margaret 'Maggie' McGee (1881-)
- Annie Eliza 'Mabel' McGee (1883-1969), married Ambrose Welson McArthur
- Samuel Zachariah McGee (1885-1965)
- Hibernia Sarah 'Bernice' McGee (1888-), married William Herbert Heighes
- Laura Myrtle McGee (1889-1944), married Arthur Wilfred Reid
- Edna May McGee (1893-1932), married James Francis Charles 'Frank' Boell
- William McGee (1899-), married Mary Theakston