The website is a treasure trove of information and may take a few minutes to acclimate yourself to it. Heritage Hall is open to the public for onsite research, but you will want to plan your visit. Their holdings are vast.
What will you find at Heritage Hall?
- The Archives of the Christian Reformed Church in North America. The archives online pages will guide you through a lot of information:
- Finding Aids
- Links to Information about the Christian Reformed Church (CRC)
- Banner , a publication of the CRC, card file index for deaths, birthdays, and wedding anniversaries published from 1870-1999.
- Membership records from six closed CRC churches. Scroll down to "Digital membership records from closed churches"
- Young Calvinist obituaries from 1941-1973. Scroll down to the end of the page.
- Emigrants from the Netherlands to North America, 1946-1963, mostly to Canada.
- Emigrants from Drenthe, Netherlands to West Michigan, 1845-1870.
- Wedding Databases Look at the In House Records for this.
- Dutch and German Immigrant Letters
- Family Histories
- Holland-America Line Passengers, 1900-1940. Microfiches copies of the lists
with annual indexes, includes all passengers sailing on the Holland-America
Line and is not limited to a single nationality.
- Web based resources for Family History
- and more.
- Heritage Hall Finding Aids will guide you to resources available at the library. A few simple searches led me to manuscript sources at Heritage Hall.
3. Research Guides are available at the Hekman Library website. These guides help you to understand what is available at the Library. The library supports the language and culture of the Dutch and four research guides are available:
If you have Christian Reformed research to conduct while you are in Grand Rapids, Calvin College is the place to do it. Use the Hekman Library Catalog to find resources at Heritage Hall. The Archives of the Christian Reformed Church in North America, Hekman Library, Heritage Hall, Calvin College, 1855 Knollcrest Circle SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 (616) 526-7197.
Information and weblinks updated on 26 January 2022